Thursday, January 16, 2014

10 Random Facts About Me

I'm not very good at talking about myself. In fact, I'm what's known on the internets as a lurker. I will read what other people have to say, privately agree or disagree, but rarely post my own thoughts. Sometimes it's out of sheer laziness, sometimes it's just because I don't think what I have to say is worth putting down. An excellent quality in a writer, I know. So if my posts here on this blog are infrequent or incoherent, now you'll know why.

I love to knit and crochet. I don't get to do as much of it as I'd like, because my eyesight is terrible, so I can't just, say, knit while watching tv because of constantly having to take my glasses off to see my stitches, then glasses on to watch tv, and so forth (see above, re: laziness) And I'll admit, I usually don't want to take time out of my day to knit or crochet because there are always so many other things to do (I call it Creative ADD).

I lived in Ontario, Canada for ten months when I was eleven. Even though this happened to coincide with one of the coldest winters the region had seen in some years, I really enjoyed my time there and would love to see it (as well as the rest of the country) again someday.

I love plants and flowers, but can't grow them to save my life. My mother has two green thumbs, and sometimes I think she can make things grow just by looking at them. Sadly, I did not inherit that ability. So I compromise by doing as many paintings of nature (especially flowers) as I can manage.

I am too wordy for Twitter. This probably stems from my love of run-on sentences, big words, and commas. 140 characters?! I'm just getting started!

I took dance lessons from age twelve to twenty-one. Jazz and modern were my favorites, though I did take some ballet, and a smattering of other styles as well. Though I don't dance anymore, I enjoyed it a lot, and love watching others dance (when I can find anything on American tv, that is).

Back in St. Olaf… I have seen every episode of Golden Girls and The Simpsons more times than I can possibly count, and can usually Name That Episode in under a minute.

I home-schooled for two years. I actually skipped seventh grade, entered high school at thirteen, and graduated two months before my 17th birthday.

I have a near-perfect memory… when it comes to things like movies, music and television (just don't ask me to remember why I've walked from one room to another). I can recite nearly every line of movies like Clue, Princess Bride, and Highlander, to name a few. What can I say, some things just stick in my head, the more useless the better.

I lived in Arizona for nine years before seeing the Grand Canyon. And it's not like I live in the southern part of the state, where it can be a long drive to reach the Canyon. I don't know why, it's just how things worked out. But it was certainly worth the wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment